- How do I join CBS?
- Gifting a membership?
- How do I change my membership type or change my address?
- Canceling a membership
- Other Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join CBS?
Signing up for a Chicago Beer Society is simple and easy. Membership runs for 12 months from the month of your initial sign up. The fee is $25 for individuals, $40 for couples. You must be of legal drinking age (21 or older) to join.
Members receive codes to purchase discounted tickets to all paid events. More importantly, they also get exclusive invitations to our most-popular events (the Brewpub Shootout, Bus Trip to the Great Taste of the Midwest, and our annual picnic), where tickets are now offered only to members. Tickets are indeed limited and membership doesn’t guarantee tickets.
Purchase a CBS membership using PayPal or a credit card via Paypal. Select your membership type from the dropdown list below and click the Subscribe button. Your membership is in full effect the day you sign up and you will be emailed flyers for upcoming events along with the discount codes to purchase tickets.
By default this will set up a membership subscription that will automatically renew one year from your transaction date. Note that hitting the Subscribe button opens a new page to process the transaction. If you are having trouble signing up via Paypal or need other help, please Contact Us.
How do I change my membership type or change my address?
Its important that we have the most current address on record to ensure that you receive invitations to all of our great events. Most of our events are members only and all of them have members only discounts. Ahead of each event we like to email out a flyer that not only announces the event but also includes a members only passcode that is required to get the members only ticket pricing.
To update your address or request a change in membership type (e.g. Individual to Couples) please Contact Us and include your full name, email address, and brief description of what you are looking to do. We will do our best to promptly respond to your inquiry however do note that we are a volunteer run organization and there might be some delays.
Gifting a membership
How do I cancel a membership?
- Log into http://www.paypal.com with your paypal login information
- Once you are logged in at your account summary page, click the gear (in the upper right hand corner near Logout) to go to the account settings page
- Once that settings page loads, click Pre-approved Payments in the lower right hand side of the page (might have to scroll down).
- Find Chicago Beer Society in the list with a status of Active and click on it.
- Once the subscription information loads, you can click Cancel (right above the Shipping Address)
- If your membership just renewed and you would like a refund, please Contact Us and we can process your request. Please include your name and transaction number. Note that Chicago Beer Society is 100% volunteer run by folks with day jobs but we will respond as soon as possible.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Can I join CBS without automatic renewal
As of April 2022, all memberships require auto renewal. A membership profile can be canceled at any time which will effectively prevent further renewal however please keep in mind that we also no longer support habitual cancelation and re-activation of your membership so please only cancel if you intend to no longer become a member.
- Follow these instructions to cancel your existing membership after your initial payment has gone through. We suggest waiting a week prior to canceling. Your current year membership will remain intact.
If you are having any issues with canceling your account, or require any other membership help, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us
Is there a discount for membership renewal?
As of Feb 24, 2019, there is no longer a membership renewal discount. Membership fees have not changed for at least 25 years yet the costs of running world class events has increased substantially. A $25 membership in 1994, if raised with the cost of inflation, would be over $47 today. Your membership helps offset the costs of these events and ensures we can continue to bring you great events such as the Brewpub Shootout, Fall Tasting, and everyone’s favorite: the Umpteenth Picnic. If you already have an autorenewing membership with the discount applied, you will continue to receive this discount. New memberships, or new payment profiles (due to credit card expiration, etc) will no longer have the option to receive a renewal discount.
Why does a membership require Paypal?
By using a payment processor such as Paypal, we are able to reduce the administrative overhead as well as the legal and technical challenges of managing and storing payment information. Paypal never shares your financial data with us, we never have your credit card information, and you remain in complete control of your payment information. The use of Paypal allows us to focus our time on creating and running the unique events everyone has come to love and spend less time worrying about things like PCI compliance.