While this is not an official Chicago Beer Society event, this is an event that we as the Chicago Beer Society wholeheartedly support. The event is on Saturday the 22nd of March (a bit more than a week away!).
Come out and support our local Rock Bottom brewers! The following is an email from Pete Crowley announcing Rockfest to the Chicago Beer Society’s email list.
Hello all! I wanted to send out a reminder that if you don’t get enough beer this weekend with Stoutfest and St. Pat’s and all, please join me on Saturday the 22nd from 1 to 5, noon for brewers and those other important types like media and such, for the first annual Rockfest benefiting the MDA. We will feature over 30 of the finest beers from Chicago area Rock Bottoms. We will showcase some real ales, barrel-aged beers, winter warmers, I.P.A.s and session beers! It’s only 20 bucks and all the proceeds go to charity. Come on down and see how different us RB’s really are and check out the cool 40 deep trench that the city has dug around our building! Yes, we are still open! Thanks for the support-Pete p.s. tix are only available at area RB’s for purchase on a first come basis. Cheers!
Pete Crowley-Senior Brewer
1 W Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60610
Come out and support some great Chicago area beers from some great Chicago area Brewers!
The Tenth Annual Brewpub Shootout is over!
There were 15 Chicago area Brewpubs invited and they served beer paired with a dish of food for more than three hundred CBS members. The awards for the CBS Brewpub Shootout are awarded based on popular vote from those members that attended the event. There are awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Favorite Beer, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Favorite Food Dish and 1st, 2nd and 3rd Favorite Overall Beer and Food Pairing.
The attendees vote and submit their ballots before the event is over and the votes are counted and awards are presented near the end of the event.
The Awards Follow:
1. Kind Ale IPA – Flossmoor Station Restaurant and Brewery
2. Hvedegoop Wheat Wine – Three Floyds Brewing Co.
3. American Barleywine – Rock Bottom Yorktown
1. Emmett’s Tavern and Brewing Company – Grilled Duck Breast with a Blackcurrant Glaze, Jasmine Rice Cake and Braised Leeks.
2. Rock Bottom – Crispy Prosciutto wrapped Shrimp atop Barley Encrusted Beef Tenderloin with Blood Orange-infused Wort Glace.
3. Gordon Biersch – New Orleans Style Marzen Barbeque Shrimp on French Bread
1. Rock Bottom – Crispy Prosciutto wrapped Shrimp atop Barley Encrusted Beef Tenderloin with Blood Orange-infused Wort Glace. Paired with American Barleywine (Yorktown).
2. Goose Island Brew Pub – Braised Beef Oxtail served on a Crustini with Bone Marrow Demi Glace. Paired with aged La Deuxieme Beligian Dubbel.
3. Emmett’s Tavern and Brewing Company– Grilled Duck Breast with a Blackcurrant Glaze, Jasmine Rice Cake and Braised Leeks. Paired with Destitute Dick’s Colonial Ale
As always, this was a superb event (and the tenth anniversary!). We wish to thank all of the Brewpubs, Brewers, Chefs and their Assistants for coming out to support this event. We also wish to thank our great members and we hope you had as much fun as we did!
It was reported by Roger on the CBS-HB Mailing List and it was also reported and updated by Steve on the Shootout event information post, but just so it is very clear, I’m posting it here too.
The 2008 Brewpub Shootout is Sold Out.
The Beer List for the recent Fall tasting was not announced before the event because it is a blind tasting event. The beers are voted on by the attendees and the top three beers are announced after everyone finishes dinner.
Just in case you were not able to attend the Tasting, we’re posting the beers that were donated and the winners list is below.
The beer list for this year’s Fall Tasting:
#1 Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Chinese Historical beer
#2 Piece Brewery & Pizzeria
Dark and Curvy
#3 New Holland Brewing Company
Mad Hatter IPA
#4 Mickey Finn’s Brewery
#5 Arcadia Brewing Company
Barrel-Aged Baltic-style porter
Belgian-style strong dark
#7 Goose Island Brewpub
Hoppy robust porter
#8 New Belgium Brewing Company
Belgian-style peach lambic
#9 Rogue Ales
#10 Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery – Chicago
Morning Buzz Porter
Porter with coffee
#11 Lakefront Brewery
Barrel-aged Cherry Lager
#12 Brouwerij Verhaeghe
Flemish red with cherries
#13 Sprecher Brewing Company
#14 America’s Brewing Company
American imperial stout
#15 Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery
Hoppy Little “O”
Belgian-style double IPA
#16 Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
World Wide Stout
Triple imperial stout
Bonus beer: Rock Bottom Chicago Shimkos’ uber-hopped Pale Ale
And these are the three beers that won.
Fall Tasting Beer Winners:
First Place: Arcadia Brewing Company – Shipwreck Porter
Second Place: Brouwerij Verhaeghe – Echt Kriekenbier
Third Place: Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery – Hoppy Little “O”
Thanks to everyone who donated beer! Thanks to the always hospitable Rock Bottom for being such great hosts! Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to the CBS members and guests who attended and once again helped us have a great event!
CBS First Thursday is back and better than ever – and back to our roots.
Moving forward, our monthly First Thursday gathering will focus on homebrewing, brewing topics and other subjects relevant to homebrewing and the local Chicago beer community. We will continue to be a forum for local homebrewers to share their labors and receive input from those who love beer as much as they do.
We will convene in the cellar room (downstairs from the main bar) or the Siebel Room (just inside the parking lot entrance) at Goose Island Clybourn at 7:30, with a presentation starting at 8:00. Please bring a homebrew or two to share with the group and receive comments and insights from fellow homebrewers and esteemed CBS members. As always, guests are welcome.
Here’s our upcoming schedule of guest speakers and/or special First Thursday events:
- Jan 2nd, 2014 – Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Vertical
- March 6th, 2014 – (GI Clybourn) – Ray Daniels will joining us to speak about “Balance and Carbonation in Recipe Formulation”
- June 5th, 2014 – (GI Clybourn) – This month, our guests will be the crew from a new local startup brewery, Rude Hippo Brewing company.
- July 10th, 2014 – (GI Clybourn) – Please note the date change. This month we will be hosting First Thursday on the second Thursday of the month due to the holiday.
The Goose Island Brewpub is located at 1800 N Clybourn, Chicago. Closest CTA stops are North/Clybourn (Red Line) and Armitage (Brown Line). Cabs are easily available on Clybourn Avenue.