The Chicago Beer Society and Murphy’s Bleachers present A Midsummer Day’s Ales, Saturday Aug. 1 at Murphy’s, directly across from the bleacher entrance to Wrigley Field. Weather permitting, Murphy’s will swing open its French doors and offer up the sidewalk café for another fantastic CBS event. Attendees will also be able to take a guided tour of the Murphy’s rooftop.
Summer is flying by, so don’t miss this opportunity to enjoy an outstanding selection of beer and some great al fresco dining. The beer theme for the event is session beers and summer seasonals, and the line up will include a 3.5% farmhouse table beer from the maker of Saison Dupont, two beers from Jolly Pumpkin Ales, and many more from our friends in the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild. We’ll have k ölsch-style beers from as far away as Cologne and as nearby as Bolingbrook and Fulton Street.
Are you partial to hops? We’ll have a couple of APAs, a hoppy lager from one of Chicago’s newest breweries, and a dry-hopped Pils from Rock Bottom Chicago. Looking for some malt and body, we’ll have a brown ale from Wil Turner of Goose Island, and the new Golden Cap Saison from New Holland Brewing Co. We’ll also throw a Berliner Weisse into the mix. The current beer list includes:
- 1809 Berliner Weisse, Brauerei Weihenstephan, Freising, Germany
- Avril, Brasserie Dupont, Belgium
- Bam Bière and Weizen Bam Bière, Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter, MI
- Gaffel Kölsch, Private Brewery Gaffel, Köln, Germany
- Amarillo APA, Brickstone Restaurant, Bourbonnais, IL
- Willow Street White Ale and Hex-A-Gone Brown, Goose Island Clybourn
- Goose Island Honkers Ale and Summertime, Goose Island Fulton Street
- Blueberry Wit, Lunar Brewing Co.
- Hugh Hefnerweizen and Dry-Hopped Czech Pils, Rock Bottom Chicago
- Flywheel Bright Lager, Metropolitan Brewing
- Helles, Rock Bottom Orland Park
- Summerbrau Kölsch, Gordon Biersch, Bolingbrook
- Dog Days Dortmunder-style Lager, Two Brothers Brewing
- Golden Cap Saison, New Holland Brewing, MI
Bring your appetite, and you won’t leave hungry. The ploughman’s lunch created by Murphy’s Bleachers chef Jeanne Carlson will be built around three great cheeses:
- A British classic from Neal’s Yard Dairy (probably Lincolnshire Poacher)
- Bermuda Triangle, an award-winning aged goat cheese from Cypress Grove Chevre, CA.
- Grand Cru, the flagship Gruyère from our award-winning friends at Roth Käse, Monroe, WI.
This ploughman’s lunch isn’t just cheese and baguette. Look for fresh tomato chutney, house-baked Irish soda bread, fresh fruit, thinly-sliced smoked duck breast and country-style pate. And then save room for a pig roast with sides, prepared by Murphy’s Bleachers proprietor James Murphy. Once summer is gone you’ll be crying in your beer that you missed this event!
Tickets are $35 for members, $40 for nonmembers. To reserve yours, just download and mail in the official ticket order form. Nonmember tickets may also be ordered online via Brown Paper Tickets. A limited number of tickets will also be available at the door. Of course, you must be 21 or older to attend. Valid ID required. All ticket sales are final.
As always, we recommend that you take public transportation or arrange for a designated driver. Murphy’s Bleachers is located at the corner of Waveland and Sheffield, across the street from the bleacher entrance to Wrigley Field (approximately 1/2 block west and 1 block north of the CTA Red Line Addison station). The CTA Clark, Addison, and Irving Park buses run late and are a short walk. Taxis are also an easy option.
We look forward to seeing you at the Bleachers!