The Chicago Beer Society was founded in 1977 as a nonprofit educational association dedicated to the appreciation of beer. We are one of the country’s oldest, largest (membership has reached an all-time high), and respected beer organizations. Our membership includes a diverse group of people united by a love for craft beer and the art of brewing. If you are 21 or over and share our passion, please Join us, BECOME A MEMBER NOW!
16th Annual Brewpub and Microbrewery Shootout
Come on out and enjoy the best beer and food pairings from the breweries and brewpubs in the Chicagoland area and vote for your favorites. Please click here for tickets and more details!
Great Beer Events
In every month, in every season of the year, CBS
offers a chance to gather with friends and experience
America’s beer renaissance head on. To put it mildly, we’ve got a lot of stuff going on.
Our regular events include:
- Chicagoland Brewpub & Microbrewery Shootout (January), the region’s premier beer and food event.
- Day of the Living Ales (March), a celebration of real ales featuring 40+ casks.
- Day Trip to Madison’s Great Taste of the Midwest (August), board one of two chartered buses for a splendid day at one of the country’s best beer festivals.
- Umpteenth Annual Picnic (September), featuring an amazing beer selection and hotly-contested food competitions. This is a ticketed event, open only to Chicago Beer Society members and their guests.
- Spooky Brew Review Homebrew Competition (October). One of our oldest events, The annual Spooky Brew Review, will be back this year! Event Details TBD.
- Fall Tasting & Dinner (November/December), held annually since 1977, the country’s oldest ongoing blind tasting where the public picks the winners.
- First Thursdays and other Social Nights: CBS (1996 AHA Homebrew Club of the Year, runner-up in 1997 and 1998) hosts a homebrewers gathering on the First Thursday of every month at Goose Island Clybourn and a club brew-in every May; the Third Wednesday is our regular social night at Map Room, one of the country’s best beer bars.
- Special Summer Events:
There have been some epic Chicago Beer Society trips, just ask around at Thirst Fursday or Third Wednesday, but it’s been awhile, so we believe it’s time for a bus tour to The Left Side of the Mitten. We’ll charter a coach and motor around that Great Lake the natives called Michi Gami for a day of Beer, Food and Fun — All Inclusive! On Saturday, July 27, 2013, we’ll depart from Goose Island – Clybourn at 8 AM, arriving in Grand Rapids, MI around noon (ET) for approximately three hours. Afterwards, we’ll work our way back down the shore of the Lake of the Stinking Water, with leisurely stops in Holland, Saugatuck and Sawyer. We’ll arrive back at Goose Island – Clybourn around 9pm.
Last year we brought back – by popular demand – The Blues & Brews Cruise, a fantastic night of live music, craft beer, and whole roasted pig aboard a luxurious boat on Lake Michigan. Previous years we had Brewed in the U.S.A., a salute to the American Craft Beer Revolution, Deutschland uber Ales und Lagers, a celebration of German beer styles and food. We’ve also run a bunch of special themed events like Curds & Ale (beer matched with artisanal cheese), A Midsummer Day’s Ales (featuring Summer seasonal beers), Inspired by Belgium (Belgian and Belgian-style beers and food), Hop to India (IPAs and Indian food), and held a Wurst-Weissbier Brunch. This years Summer Event will be released soon. Have your own idea for an event? Let us know – the odds are we’ll actually do it!