The Chicago Beer Society was founded in 1977 as a nonprofit educational association dedicated to the appreciation of beer. We are one of the country’s oldest, largest (membership has reached an all-time high), and respected beer organizations. Our membership includes a diverse group of people united by a love for craft beer and the art of brewing. If you are 21 or over and share our passion, please Join us, BECOME A MEMBER NOW!
Great Beer Events
In every month, in every season of the year, CBS
offers a chance to gather with friends and experience
America’s beer renaissance head on. To put it mildly, we’ve got a lot of stuff going on.
Our regular events include:
- Chicagoland Brewpub & Microbrewery Shootout (January), the region’s premier beer and food event.
- Day of the Living Ales (March), a celebration of real ales featuring 40+ casks.
- Big Brew 2016 (May 14th 2016) Randy and Nancy are again happy to host the CBS National Homebrew Day Celebration at their house this year but, due to his travel schedule, the party will be postponed to the FOLLOWING SATURDAY, MAY 14. As the telephone lady used to say, “please make a note of it.”
- Northwest Indiana Tasting Tour (June 25th, 2016) Another fantastic tasting tour heading for five breweries in Northwest Indiana. (Non-members are welcome!)
- Day Trip to Madison’s Great Taste of the Midwest (August), board one of two chartered buses for a splendid day at one of the country’s best beer festivals.
- Umpteenth Annual Picnic (September), featuring an amazing beer selection and hotly-contested food competitions. This is a ticketed event, open only to Chicago Beer Society members and their guests.
- Spooky Brew Review Homebrew Competition (October). Stayed tuned for Spooky 2016 details.
- Fall Tasting & Dinner (November/December), held annually since 1977, the country’s oldest ongoing blind tasting where the public picks the winners.
- First Thursdays and other Social Nights: CBS (1996 AHA Homebrew Club of the Year, runner-up in 1997 and 1998) hosts a homebrewers gathering on the First Thursday of every month at Goose Island Clybourn and a club brew-in every May; the Third Wednesday is our regular social night at Map Room, one of the country’s best beer bars.
- Special Summer Events:
There have been some epic Chicago Beer Society trips, just ask around at Thirst Fursday or Third Wednesday. This year we’re aiming our beer seeking coach to Northwest Indiana. On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we’ll depart from Goose Island – Clybourn at 9 AM, arriving in Crown Point, Indiana for the first of our five stops for the day. Next we will proceed to the historical town of Griffith to check out three fantastic breweries and finally our return trip will include the final stop at Hammond’s hidden gem: 18th St Brewing. We’ll arrive back at Goose Island – Clybourn around 7:00 pm.
Have your own idea for an event? Let us know – the odds are we’ll actually do it!